An Uncontested Divorce is one in which both parties have discussed and resolved all the financial and custodial issues between themselves and they only need an attorney to make it legal and to get them through the sometimes extremely cumbersome and complicated system imposed by the Courts and particularly by the General Assembly who drafted the laws in the first place.
Your divorce is Uncontested if you and your spouse have agreed:
- Who will have primary custody of the children;
- What time will the non-custodial parent spend with the children;
- What is the amount of child support, (this must fall within the guidelines, is subject to Court approval and therefore may change);
- Who gets the house;
- What will you do with checking accounts, savings accounts, 401k's, IRA's, stocks, bonds and that money you've been hiding under the mattress;
- Who is going to take that debt
If you have all of this resolved, and, we hope, in writing, then you have an Uncontested Divorce. If you have done good work toward resolving these issues but still have some issues you cannot agree upon, we can arrange a split retainer.
We anticipate that your Uncontested Divorce retainer will cover the cost of your consultation, the drafting of all necessary pleadings usual for a divorce matter, meeting with you and your spouse to execute the necessary documents, and presenting your case in Court on the day of your Final Hearing on your Divorce.
If you have an Uncontested Divorce or you feel you are close to one, please call Sailers & Associates at (404)761-1212 or (770) 964-2847.